Why bring your skills and talents in the culinary arts to a grocery store? One reason is that at Wegmans, our store is your pantry-meaning you’ll cook with the best, freshest ingredients all the time. As part of our culinary team, you’d be working for a company that has been on FORTUNE magazine’s list of the 100 Best Companies to Work For® list for 25 years in a row.
You’ll also work side-by-side with experienced chefs making a wide variety of delicious, fresh and award-winning dishes that meet the needs of busy families and hungry people in the communities we serve. From our restaurant foods sections to one of our concept restaurants, you’ll make the food that makes a difference in our customers’ lives.
- Customer Oriented
Learning and growing at Wegmans means that you're given the opportunity to improve every day. No matter what part of the company you work in, it is important to us that everyone is engaged in our business, supports what we do, and continues to learn and grow.— Colleen Wegman
Objectives: Entry level position where you will learn from the best culinarians to help you in your start to a long culinary career. Must possess basic food safety knowledge and knife skills and a passion for cooking is a must!
Est. time in position: 2 or more years
Objectives: Build upon your learnings from a prep cook or jump into a role where you will enhance your organization and culinary skills to maximize production efficiency. You will be trained in various stations within the kitchen and learn the IT tools to effectively manage the business.
Est. time in position: 2 or more years
Culinary Management Trainee
Objectives: Learn how to impact the 5 Measures and about culinary standards while mastering core recipes and cooking techniques with the aim of becoming a Sous Chef upon successful completion of the program.
Est. time in position: 2 years
Objectives: Learn how to manage and develop others. Entry level management position responsible for overseeing a team of approximately 5-10 people. Demonstrate proficiency in all aspects of the role including managing production of kitchen; recipes, food safety, policies & procedures and financials.
Est. time in position: one or more years
Objectives: Manage kitchen operations, drive knowledge based service, train and develop culinary staff.
Est. time in position: Multiple experiences req. – 1 or more years
Objectives: Learn how to partner across the store to provide customers with delicious, innovative meal solutions, control product usage between prep areas, develop culinary employees and bring the What We Do and Who We Are to life.
Est. time in position: 2 or more years
Objectives: Focus on being the primary food resource and setting the culinary standard for the store, partner with Perishable departments to develop food knowledge in all employees and customers.
Est. time in position: 3 or more years
Two generous health plans: A traditional PPO plan with low deductibles or an HSP with a lower weekly cost.
401(k) plans that match 50% of your contribution up to 6% of your pay.
Dental coverage that covers cleanings, fillings, crowns and braces (available to full-time employees only).
Paid vacation time along with six paid holidays a year
Dependent care savings accounts
- Full time
- Morning, Afternoon, Evening (Includes Weekends).
- Age Requirement
- Must be 18 years or older
- New York, NY
- 770 Broadway
- $21.50 - $22.50 / hour
- Job Posting
- Job Posting End
- Job ID
Join our team at the new Astor Place store located in New York City! Opening the second half of 2023! Hiring immediately!
Why Join the Wegmans team?
- Work for a family-owned company that has been on FORTUNE magazine’s list of the 100 Best Companies to Work For® list for 25 years in a row
- Work as part of an exciting, diverse and fun grand opening team, gaining all the training you need to be successful in your role before the store opens
- Endless opportunities for career growth, both at the Astor Place store, and companywide
- Safety of our employees is top of mind and we are committed to keeping you safe and healthy while you help to serve our communities
we are a food market where you make the difference
At Wegmans, we're on a mission to help people live healthier, better lives through exceptional food. So, when you bring your culinary talents and passion for food to Wegmans, you're joining a team of difference-makers. Our promise to our customers is simple: Every Day You Get Our Best. And because it all starts with you, we'll make sure you have the support you need to grow personally, express your individuality, and create change in your community.
how you'll make the difference
Take your passion for both food and people to the next level when you become a culinary leader at Wegmans. In our people-first kitchens, you’ll lead your team of Prep and Line Cooks by helping them to fine-tune their culinary skills, grow their careers, and fuel their passion for food. Your people skills, culinary talents, and eye for detail will be essential as you manage day-to-day operations and assist with bottom line profitability. No two days are the same, and an entire store full of fresh, world-class ingredients is your pantry.
what will you do?
- Assist the Sous Chef in running the kitchen and leading employees, overseeing the operations in the absence of the Sous Chef
- Follow recipes and proper cooking techniques to ensure we are consistently showcasing our high standards and giving our guests meals they can’t find elsewhere
- Share your knowledge and passion for food with customers and employees, suggesting ways for them to prepare meal items and incorporate products from other departments to offer complete meal solutions
- Manage employee performance by providing resources, training, feedback, and development opportunities
- 2 or more years’ experience as a prep or line cook
- Experience leading a team
- Food safety and quality assurance knowledge
- Associate's or Bachelor’s Degree in Culinary Arts
- Experience working in a multi-faceted food service facility, including restaurant, hotel, country club, conference center, casino, theme park, etc.
Note to applicant:
- Onboarding and training will begin immediately.
- Prior to the store opening, training will take place at existing Wegmans store locations in Brooklyn and Harrison, NY and may require travel.
At Wegmans, we’ve long believed we can achieve our goals only if we first fulfill the needs of our people. Putting our people first and offering competitive pay and a variety of benefits & perks is just the start of what it means to work at Wegmans.
Whether through premium pay for working on Sundays or holidays, offering industry-leading health care coverage and wellness programs to support physical, financial, and emotional well-being, or paid time off (PTO) to help you balance work and life, we’ve got something for everyone.
And because we care about the wellbeing and success of every person, we recognize each person has their own unique scheduling needs. We’re proud to offer flexibility in scheduling so our employees can prioritize what is most important to them. Our large, high-volume stores and 24x7 operations allow for personalized schedules that balance an employee’s individual needs with the needs of our business and each department.
- Paid time off (PTO) to help you balance your personal and work life
- Higher premium pay rates for working Sundays or on a recognized holiday
- Health care benefits that provide a high level of coverage at a low cost to you
- Retirement plan with both a profit-sharing and 401(k) match
- A generous scholarship program to help employees meet their educational goals
- LiveWell Employee & Family program to support your emotional, work-life and financial wellness
- Exclusive discounts on electronics, entertainment, gym memberships, travel and more!
- And more!
***Certain eligibility requirements must be satisfied and offerings may differ based upon area or the company and/or position.
For 25 years in a row, our employees have put us on the FORTUNE magazine’s list of the 100 Best Companies to Work For®. Discover what it means to work for a family-owned, mission-driven, values-based company that believes in caring, respect, empowerment, high standards and making a difference in the community. Because with a family-like atmosphere of shared support, leaders who have your best interest at heart and growth as part of everything we do, Wegmans is the place for you to do what you love—and love what you do.
New York, New York
Check out where you could be working if you apply.Explore location
You do not have any recently viewed jobs
You do not have any saved jobs