Our History Moves Us Forward
The story began in 1916, when brothers John and Walter Wegman became fresh produce pushcart peddlers. In 1930, the two brothers made national headlines when they opened a 20,000 square-foot store—gigantic by standards of the day—with eye-popping innovations like vaporized water spray to keep produce crisp and a cafeteria that seated 300.
In 1950, Robert Wegman, Walter’s son, became president and laid the foundation for Wegmans to be not only a great place to shop, but also a great place to work.
Today, Robert's son Danny Wegman and Danny’s daughters Colleen and Nicole lead the company.
Our History of Putting People First
- 1953—Robert Wegman raises all salaries and announces a broad program of employee benefits, including health care and a retirement plan.
- 1984—The Wegmans Employee Scholarship Program is created. More than $100 million in tuition assistance has been awarded since its beginning.
- 1990—Wegmans establishes an Employee Assistance Program to provide counseling and referral services for employees and their families.
- 2001—Danny Wegman writes down the core values foundational to the company, referred to as Who We Are.
- 2003—Wegmans introduces the Eat Well, Live Well philosophy and various wellness programs for employees.
- 2005—Recognized as #1 on Fortune magazine’s list of the "100 Best Companies to Work For." Wegmans has been on the list since 1998 and is 1 of only 12 companies that has made it on the list for the last 19 consecutive years since its beginning.
- 2008—Wegmans introduces free employee health screenings. In 2015, 90% of Wegmans employees know their blood pressure.
- 2010—The Wegmans Management Intern Program for college students celebrates 15 years. Many interns continue in management, culinary and merchandising training programs.
- 2012—Wegmans ranks #4 on the Greatist.com list of Healthiest Companies to Work For.
- 2015—Wegmans ranks #1 for Corporate Relations among the 100 "most visible companies" nationwide in the Harris Poll Reputation Quotient® study.
Based on a Solid Foundation
Our values make us who we are. They have since day one.
We care about the well-being and success of every person.
High standards are a way of life. We pursue excellence in everything we do.
We make a difference in every community we serve.
We respect and listen to our people.
We empower our people to make decisions that improve their work and benefit our customers and our company.